Dr. Viral Patel has completed MBBS, DNB (Obstetrics and Gynecology), M.Ch. (Gynecological Oncology). He is the first registered Gynecological Oncosurgeon in Gujarat Medical Council. He pursued his super speciality (M.Ch. Gynecological Oncology) Degree from Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi which is 7th best medical college in the India as per National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2020.
He has expertise in following areas:
- Advanced cytoreductive surgery in ovarian cancer including HIPEC procedure
- Robotic and Laparoscopic surgeries in Gynecologic Cancers
- Sentinel Lymphnode mapping technique for Uterine cancer, Cervical cancer and Vulval cancer
- Fertility preserving surgery
- Vulvectomy (simple and radical)
- Groin node dissection
- Robotic & Laparoscopic Ovarian Transposition
- Pelvic Exenterative Surgery in recurrent gynecologic cancer
- Radical Hysterectomy
- Pelvic and Paraaortic Lymphadenectomy
- Total peritonectomy with HIPEC (Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy)
- PIPEC (Pressurized intraperitoneal aerosol chemotherapy) procedure
He has an additional interest in onco-fertility, precision medicine, and rehabilitation programs for cancer winners. Dedication to treat or diagnose hereditary cancer in women and genetic counseling with or without testing are cornerstones of his gynecologic cancer care. He prioritizes the well-being of patients throughout their treatment and always thrives to provide compassionate cancer care.
He has multiple national and International publications and also contributed to the book chapter titled “Surgeries for Malignant Gynecological Diseases”. In addition to Gujarati, he speaks Hindi, English, and Malayalam. He always believes to provide compassionate cancer care with his tag line “I wish to treat HUMAN, not only cancer”.
Achievement and Certifications
- European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO) certification in theoretical test, October 2022.
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) international Gynecological Oncology Observership,2021.
- Fellowship training certification program with Intuitive robotic surgical platform, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences,2020.
- Stanford University certified Palliative care course, 2019.
- In the book titled Postgraduate Gynecology, wrote a chapter on “Surgeries for malignant gynecologic conditions”.
- Reviewer in the International Journal of Surgery
Dr. Viral Patel is a member of many prestigious medical associations, as followed:
- European Society of Gynaecological Oncology,
- Association of Gynaecologic Oncologists of India,
- Association of Gynecological Robotic Surgeons,
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India,
- Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India
- Indian Medical Association.
12 national and international publications under his credit. Details are as below:
- Association of molecular subgroups with pathological parameters in endometrial carcinomas. Indian Journal of Cancer. April 2023. https://journals.lww.com/indianjcancer/Abstract/9000/Association_of_molecular_subgroups_with.99921.aspx
- A prospective observational study assessing the feasibility and factors affecting same‑day discharge in patients undergoing robotic‑assisted surgery for gynecological cancers. Journal of Robotic Surgery. Jan 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11701-021-01353-x
- Impact of Intraoperative tumor spillage in uterine leiomyosarcoma: A retrospective single Institutional analysis. Indian journal of Surgical Oncology. 2021 Aug. Https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-021-01406-5
- A Study on the Detection Rates and Location of Sentinel Lymph Node in Patients with Gynecologic Cancers. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. 2021 Aug. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-021-01509-7
- Modifications Made for Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Oncology Surgery During the COVID‑19 Pandemic Period. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. 2021 June. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-021-01487-w
- Ten year survival outcome of breast cancer patients in India. Journal of Carcinogenesis. 2021 March. DOI: 10.4103/jcar.JCar_26_20
- Long-term survival outcome of advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: A single institutional study. Indian journal of cancer. 2020 Oct. DOI: 10.4103/ijc.IJC_165_19
- COVID 19 and Impact on Gynecologic Oncology Practice in India – Results of a Nationwide Survey. Ecancer.14:1067. https://doi.org/10.3332/ecancer.2020.1067
- Ureteric Mapping with Indocyanine green (ICG) – A new tool to prevent ureteral injury in complex gynecological surgery. Journal of Endometriosis and Pelvic Pain Disorders. 2020 July. DOI: 10.1177/2284026520934272
- An analysis of operating time over the years for robotic assisted surgery in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. Journal of Robotic Surgery. 2020 May. doi. 10.1007/s11701-020-01094-3
- Reducing the cost of robotic hysterectomy: assessing the safety and efficacy of using prograsp forceps in lieu of needle holder for vaginal cuff closure. Journal of Robotic Surgery. April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11701-020-01075-6
- Long-Term Morbidity after Endometrial Cancer Surgery: a Comparison of Open vs. Robotic Approach. Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology. June 2019. 10(2). 292-95. DOI: 10.1007/s13193-019-00906-9